How To Be A Happy Freelancer
Ultimately, despite the downsides, job satisfaction is very strongly associated with mental health, and self-employment has often been associated with higher job satisfaction. So if freelancing is a good fit for you and your chosen career, it will probably tend to make you happier as well, especially if you follow these steps:
1. Draw strong lines between work and home.
This is probably the hardest and also the most important step that freelancers can take to safeguard their mental health. What is technically called “work-home interference” has been shown to lead to a “spiral” of emotional that negatively affects both sides, the work and the home.
2. Be free.
Researchers agree that psychologically, the way that self-employment contributes to higher job satisfaction is through greater autonomy, freedom, and independence.
But in order to make this work for you, you have to exercise that right. Which of the projects you are working on right now are the ones you would do even if you weren’t getting paid? Is it possible to shift toward spending more time on those? On the flip side of autonomy, when was the last time you left work early to have lunch with a friend or go to the movies?
3. Be social.
Conferences, barcamps, panels, happy hours, meetups, Tweetups, book clubs, MOOCs—there is no shortage of ways to connect meaningfully with people in your field, feed your curiosity and to give back by mentoring newcomers. Social networks help “buffer stress”.Helping others is good for mental health. And making connections with people will expose you to new ideas, which makes your work more interesting, which is a key dimension of job and life satisfaction.
4. Provide your own health care.
Of course you should purchase a health insurance plan to get care if you need it. But providing your own health care also means exercising, eating right, sleeping enough and all of the other basics of the mind-body connection. And it can save you money, too.
And here is Why Freelancers Are So Depressed
[Image: Flickr user Daveybot]
Something to keep for the future～
- taniahayde likes this
- billgoode reblogged this from fastcompany
- wheresmypineapple reblogged this from goodideaexchange
- stevesquireslive reblogged this from goodideaexchange
- stevesquireslive likes this
- wuxincheng likes this
- way-schway likes this
- gperhar likes this
- idkijustplaydrums reblogged this from goodideaexchange
- bongica likes this
- wilbertrogers reblogged this from goodideaexchange
- pleasethink2ice reblogged this from goodideaexchange and added:
- 19clementineroad likes this
- bryansearle likes this
- krissytizzy likes this
- fabulousbodrum likes this
- whiskyonnow likes this
- stepwise likes this
- newexperienceoftheday likes this
- goodideaexchange reblogged this from fastcompany
- mollybroxton likes this
- marketingforbreakfast reblogged this from fastcompany
- biberoni reblogged this from problemsolver
- thatkindofwoman likes this
- problemsolver reblogged this from fastcompany
- divynthought reblogged this from theawesomefarm
- chancearchitect reblogged this from fastcompany
- chancearchitect likes this
- artifextresdesigns likes this
- todogonandbeyond reblogged this from samantha-marie
- mrdanberberich likes this
- jetsetfarryn likes this
- loveruneatbreathebliss likes this
- modernconnoisseurtt reblogged this from adistinctivetaste
- ctperkins likes this
- clockback likes this
- eboniloveart reblogged this from samantha-marie
- purplecoloredglasses likes this
- barelyspeaking likes this
- samantha-marie reblogged this from adistinctivetaste
- sisternomadic likes this
- jasonplayerspecial likes this
- theriskisgold likes this
- hellosookim likes this
- thingsrgettingbetter reblogged this from adistinctivetaste
- thingsrgettingbetter likes this
- gthegentleman likes this
- adistinctivetaste reblogged this from fastcompany
- devilinthemeadow likes this
- braincakes reblogged this from fastcompany